Friday, November 12, 2004

Norse Mythology: Norse Worlds part II

Hello! I'm back again!

As I have promised, I will now give a slightly more detailed explanation of the Norse Worlds.

There were nine Norse worlds, held in place by the mighty tree: Yggdrasil.
At the top of the tree, the stars sparkled and birds flew. At the bottom of the tree, a dragon called Nidhogg gnawed on the roots. A squirrel called Ratatosk runs busily up and down between the branches and the dragon. I'm still trying to find out more about this cute little mythic figure ;)

Norse people believed that their world (Midgard) was linked to the gods' world (Asgard) by a rainbow bridge, the "official watchman" of the bridge is the god Heimdall. The middle worlds are circled by a huge sea-serpent, Jormungand.

Well, that's all for now, tune in for my next episode: Chronicles of the Gods: Thor and the Giants




No comments: